Marlboro Filter Plus
From Tobacco Products
Marlboro Filter Plus
1 mg Tar and .01 mg nicotine Marlboro line extension. The filter contains 4 chambers - it appears that one of the chambers contains flavored tobacco through which smoke passes.
PMI continues to nurture Marlboro’s brand equity and expand its offerings to meet and/or anticipate consumer taste and strength preferences. Two notable examples are Marlboro Wides and Marlboro Filter Plus.
Marlboro Filter Plus has been launched South Korea, Russia, Ukrainian and Kazakh markets. It is a real innovation in terms of packaging, cigarette and filter construction, and delivers amazing taste for a one-milligram machine-tested tar product. While I am obviously partial, I can tell you that it is the best-tasting one-milligram product I have ever smoked. It is very much a true Marlboro that combines the brand’s unique characteristics and heritage, yet it is vibrantly contemporary and novel. We have high expectations for this exciting line extension in Korea and other markets.
The new Marlboro belongs to the ‘mild’ segment which the company ranks as a growing and promising segment. Filter Plus will be manufactured at the PM Izhora plant near St-Petersburg where new machinery has been installed, and supplied to the Russian, Ukrainian and Kazakh markets. The brand is going to be offered in two varieties, one with tar and nicotine yield of 3 mg and 0.2 mg per stick respectively, and the other (Marlboro Filter Plus One) with 1 mg tar and 0.1 mg nicotine delivery. The new Marlboro version belongs to the premium price segment and is advised to be retailed at around 1 Euro per pack.
Philip Morris states that "Low Tar" cigarettes are as damaging to health as "Full Flavor" cigarettes.
Product Design Features
- The four-part filter includes sections containing carbon granules,tobacco, and two standard cellulose acetate plugs. The tobacco plug section remains unburned during smoking, but may be heated, thus allowing release of flavor. Two types exist, based on nicotine and tar machine yields:
- Marlboro Filter Plus: 3.0 mg tar, 0.2 mg nicotine per cigarette (manufacturer reported)
- Marlboro Filter Plus One: 1.0 mg tar, 0.1 mg nicotine per cigarette(manufacturer reported)
None at this point
- 1958 - New Improved Marlboro Filter --(Plus A Significant Break-Through in Cigarette Engineering) Reduces Tars in the Marlboro Smoke by 19.07 Percent ...Cuts Nicotine by 25. 61 Percent.
- Marlboro Filter Plus
- Philip Morris Invests in Marlboro Filter Plus
- Marlboro Filter Plus Debut in Moscow May 31, 2007
- Thank You for Smoking
Market testing not known
Advertising and Selling Messages
- According to Louis C. Camilleri, CEO of Altria Group, “[Marlboro
Filter Plus] is very much a true Marlboro that combines the brand’s unique characteristics and heritage, yet it is vibrantly contemporary and novel.”
- “Marlboro Filter Plus delivers outstanding taste in a one-milligram product.”
- White/grey box with stark red design contrasts and black lettering
- New ‘sliding lid pack’ design which allows pack lid to remove for access to product.
- The pack bears the message “4-Zone Flavor Filter”
Use and the Consumer
- Launched in South Korea and Taiwan late 2006, & Russian, Ukraine,Kazakh markets in 2007
- Premium price segment: suggested European retail is 1 Euro
- Philip Morris claims strong product performance in initial markets
Smoke Emissions and Human Use
- Topography: not yet conducted or not available
- FTC (standard) method: not yet conducted or not available
- Massachusetts: not yet conducted or not available
- Health Canada: not yet conducted or not available
Toxicity and Exposure Analyses
- Ames method in vitro: not yet conducted or not available
- In vivo MSP: not yet conducted or not available
- Animal exposure: not yet conducted or not available
- Human exposure: not yet conducted or not available
- Surgeon General warnings
- No sales to minors
- No known organized community response